- Rose Barnas
- Coordinator of Religious
- 626-0244 x1
- Carroll A. Feldman
- R.E. Assistant
- 626-0244 x2
- Parish Religious Education
- Adult Formation
- Youth Ministry
- May 11, 2016
RE: Religious Education Registration for the 2015-2016 School Year
This letter provides information regarding registration for the 2016-2017 Parish Religious Education (PRE) school year. Please take the time to read through this material, so as to be fully informed regarding the upcoming year.
All children who will receive religious instruction at St. James, who will receive sacraments at St. James Parish during the 2016-2017 school year, or who will be home schooled for Religious Education during the 2016-2017 school year, must be registered.
Registration: Begins on Saturday, June 4, 2016, from 8:30AM until 1PM in St. James Hall. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. The St. James Parish Hall entrance will open at 8AM. If you are unable to be here on June 6th, here are other options to register your child(ren):
- 1. Send a proxy to register on your behalf on June 6th; OR - beginning June 8th -
- 2. Register on the Parish website.
- 3. Register at the RE Office; or
- 4. Return the registration materials by mail.
- PRE Schedule: Regular classes will begin on Sunday, September 18th and Wednesday, September 21st. The detailed RE School Year Calendar will be emailed to parents, posted to the parish website and will be in the Sunday Bulletin the weekend of August 6/7, 2016.Please note two important changes to this year's class times: Sunday classes will be held from 8:50-9:50AM and 10-11AM (previously 8:45-10AM & 10:30-11:45AM); and both Sunday and Wednesday classes will be one hour long (formerly 1.25 hrs.). Wednesday classes will be held 4:30-5:30PM. This change in schedule was madde based on input from catechists and parents, and with Father O'Blaney's approval.
Tuition: The tuition remains $100 per child and is capped at $200 per family. Tuition payments may be made annually, semiannually or quarterly. A minimum tuition deposit of $25 is asked at the time of registration. In addition to tuition, parents are also expected to volunteer at least once each year, for each student they have participating in the PRE Program. Please note that a limited Parish Service In Lieu of Tuition Payment Program is again offered, as a means of paying tuition through the use of your time and talents for the benefit of our parish. A summary of service opportunities is included with this letter. The opportunities listed are the only volunteer events that will be counted toward tuition for the coming year. If you have extraordinary circumstances and are unable to pay tuition or perform Service In Lieu of Tuition, please call me to discuss a tuition adjustment.
Special Learning Needs: If you child has special learning needs, we ask that you identify these needs for us on the medical form (enclosed). This information aids the RE Office and the catechists in planning lessons that will help your child (and all of the children) learn in a manner which best suits them. All children are welcome to participate in PRE Program!
Sacramental Preparation Years and Progress Assessment
The Diocese expects our children to be satisfactorily prepared to receive the sacraments and to make specific yearly progress in knowledge of and understanding of our Catholic Faith. Each year of religious instruction is part of the continuum that prepares your child for reception of the sacraments.
- o Pre-school and Kindergarten classes introduce basic Catholic prayers, foundational Bible stories, the Sacred Trinity, the Holy Family, and participation in the Mass
- o Grades 1-2 encompass the preparation period for reception of First Reconciliation and First Communion
- o Grades 3-4 focus on understanding all seven sacraments, introduction of the Liturgical Year, the Commandments and appropriate participation in the Mass.
- o Grade 5 students study the Creed, the Church, and the Communion of the Saints.
- o Grades 6-8 encompass the preparation period for the Sacrament of Confirmation..
- During the RE school year, special events, seminars and retreats are held that augment classroom instructions. Students are expected to attend their grade level events: this requirement applies to PRE, home schooled and parochial school students.
Teen/Adult Confirmation: We will offer Confirmation Preparation classes for adults and for teens (G9-12). These classes will begin in October 2016, with Confirmation in Spring 2017. Candidates for RCIA should contact the RE Office ASAP.
Parent Catechesis: To assist parents in your role as the first and best catechist of their children, we are again offering Faith Formation classes for parents. These classes will be held in St. James Hall at the same time that your children have class. Each week, a different topic will be presented. Attendance is voluntary and free. A schedule of classes and topics will be provided with the detailed RE calendar later this summer.
2016 Vacation Bible School A Registration form for our 2016 Vacation Bible School, is enclosed. Please note that, based on parent feedback received during the two recent VBS meetings, we will hold two separate VBS sessions this year. Children age 3 through Grade 2 are invited to attend "I Spy the Church", which well be held on Tuesday-Thursday, July 12-14, 2016 from 9AM-12:30PM (including lunch), in St. James Hall. Children in Grades 3-6 are invited to attend "MERCY: Works of Service and Pilgrimages" which will be held on Tuesday-Thursday, July 26-28, 2016 from 8AM-4PM or 5PM (depending on the location of the day's pilgrimage). MERCY encompasses service, catechesis, activities, games, and crafts at the parish facility and a different, off-site pilgrimage each day. Assisting with VBS is on way that parents can fulfill Service in Lieu of Tuition commitments, Confirmation students (Grades 6-8) can earn Confirmation service hours, and high school teens can earn service hours.
RE Fundraising Project: To avoid having to increase PRE tuition, each years we raise funds to help offset the cost of our parish RE Program. Each family is encouraged to support these fundraising efforts: a September Book Fair, 2 Isaac's Community Nights (October & April); ongoing SOS with Knight & Day/Park City Diners; and a yet to be determined event.
- I hope that this letter provides you with understandable information regarding the upcoming PRE registration and year. As always, your feedback and suggestions for program improvement are welcomed!
- Rose Barnas, DRE